Mike is a co-founder and managing member of Insight. Prior to co-founding Insight in 2003 he was a partner at Arthur Andersen, which he joined in 1979. His 30+ year career includes experience in the following areas:
- Co-developed and managed the west coast Transaction Advisory Services practice at Andersen. This group provided comprehensive Merger & Acquisition services to both financial and strategic buyers and sellers, including:
- pre-transaction diligence including synergies and integration analysis
- subsequent merger integration planning and management
- involvement with negotiation strategies and detail documentation matters
- Developed and managed the Real Estate Portfolio Services practice at Andersen – designed initially to provide services to the Resolution Trust Corporation as it sought to dispose of commercial real estate debt portfolios through bulk sales, auctions or securitizations. This group subsequently provided comparable services to the private sector as well as due diligence services to investors acquiring real estate loan and property portfolios and real estate operating companies.
- Served as the external auditor for companies in the financial services and other industries.
- Performed investigations of financial institutions at the direction of regulators and/or the institution’s Board. These investigations focused on process and policy compliance, possible inappropriate behaviors of customers and/or bank officers and staff, underwriting and asset quality and management.
- Served as an expert in connection with the defense of directors and officers of financial institutions in connection with claims of regulators.
- Served as an expert for counsel on numerous other engagements involving actual or threatened litigation or disputes, providing such services as:
- forensic investigations
- evaluation of complex documents, financial reporting and multi-entity structures
- preparation of analyses, interrogatories, deposition and trial support
- mediation/negotiating session presentations
- These engagements covered a variety of industries and financial structures with a focus on investment vehicles, fraud investigations and auditors’ responsibilities.
- Developed expertise in mortgage securitization from the early days of this product.
- Has been a speaker on best practices in loan portfolio and corporate due diligence.
- Mike has served as a Strategic Advisor to an international e-learning company.
Mike started his professional career in the Dublin, Ireland office of Andersen and relocated to Los Angeles in 1983.
He is licensed as a CPA in California and as a Chartered Accountant in Ireland. He holds degrees in Mathematics from Trinity College Dublin.
His academic career includes the following notable achievements:
- 1st place in Ireland in Physics/ Chemistry in the Leaving Certificate, the standard national high school graduation exam (SAT equivalent) – obtained several prestigious college scholarships
- Foundation Scholar in Mathematics at Trinity College
- 3rd place in Ireland in two of the three sets of annual exams required to qualify as a Chartered Accountant
- 99th percentile in the GMAT
- 1st place in California in the CPA exam and award winner for one of the highest exam results in the US
Insight Consulting LLC